Do you know how simple it is to install a laminate floor? The reason as to why I compiled this article is to guide you on how to install laminate flooring in your house. Let us go through some of the benefits of laminate floors,
Laminate floors are cheaper as compared to other options in the market. It is cheaper than carpet, and it is less half price of the hardwood. It will save you a lot of money in the end since you will not need to replace it for some years.
The other advantage is that laminate flooring never fades in the sun; it is also resistant to stains and scratches.
Cleaning laminate floors is very easy, you do not have to use wax or polish. You just need to wipe with a mop or piece of cloth.
As you have seen, laminate floors have many advantages. Let us now get into details on how to install laminate flooring.
STEP 1 – PREPARING THE FLOOR
- Allow the boards acclimate – Put the unopened laminate flooring in the rooms where you want to install them. Do this at least 48 hours before placing the laminate boards so that they can have ample time to adjust to the temperature. This is to minimize shrinkage when they warm or cool to room temperature. You should clean the floor where you want to place the laminate. You can sweep or use any method you wish.
- Add a moisture barrier – You can set up a plastic lining on the floor in the rooms, which will be covered by the laminate. Tie the plastic together with a moisture resistant adhesive tape. You may allow the plastic to overlap, but you must ensure the entire floor is covered. You can apply the plastic up the walls maybe one or two inches if your floor is concrete.
- Put down your padding – You should cover the plastic lining using a foam floor padding to prevent any residue, which may be left on the floor like sand and small rocks. This may cause dimples in the flooring to give it a cushion. You should cut the foam lining to fit the floor and put it down.
STEP 2- LAYING DOWN THE BOARDS
- Place the first board- Set the board at the top left edge; the finished side should face up; ridge side should face the wall.
- Add spacers – Create a space between the wall and the board edge. You can create your space or pot to buy. If you decide to make your own, it should be 3/16 to 3/8 thick. It should be L- shaped. You may require several for the first two rows.
- Do the same for the second board- Put the next board the same way you had done for the other one; it should be laid end to end. It should also be set along the wall. The first row should be parallel to the longest wall in that room. Go on with this process until each row is complete. The gaps between the boards should be closed
- Remove planks which do not fit in the remaining spaces.- When you get to the opposite wall or you want to do in rooms which are add shaped, you should trim the boards. Measure the amount you need then use a table saw to trim the edges.
- Remember to put your spacers –Spacers should be placed along all the edges of the room, you can remove them when the whole floor is complete
- Complete your floor – You can do this by placing thresholds, baseboards or any other finalizing touches. You can get special crayons from your hardware to cover holes.
Those are the steps followed when installing laminate floorings. I hope you have enjoyed, have you? I have highlighted the steps on how to install laminate flooring in an easy way to guide you on the requirement and the process involved. As you have seen, it is not complicated as many people may have, though. Now if you have ever wished to have a laminate floor in your house, all you need to do is to follow the guidelines and see how you can achieve that. I will appreciate your views in the comments below. Feel free to share that article with your friends if you liked it.